List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:November 6 2002 3:53pm
Subject:Re: default-character-set problem
View as plain text
At 10:23 +0000 11/6/02, nick gatsis wrote:
>Hello there...
>I have a problem with sort order. I use greek and
>english characters.
>The manual says to put the following lines to my.cnf:
>[client]
>character-sets-dir=/usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/charsets
>default-character-set=greek
>
>i restart the demon but the problem still exist.
>
>I have 3.23.49 ver on Red Hat Linux 7.2
>
>Thanx list
>
>---------------
>sql, query

The index entries are still stored in the order of the previous
character set.  You'll need to rebuild the indexes using the
new character set.  You can either:

- dump, drop, and restore your tables
- drop and recreate the indexes for each table
- use myisamchk --recover --quick --set-character-set=greek for each table
   (take the server down if you do this)
- use mysqlcheck --recover --quick for each table
- use REPAIR TABLE ... QUICK for each table

But in any case, you won't be able to sort using greek order sometimes
and english order sometimes.  Simultaneous character set support will be
available in MySQL 4.1, though.
Thread
default-character-set problemnick gatsis6 Nov
  • Re: default-character-set problemPaul DuBois6 Nov