List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:November 6 2002 4:29am
Subject:Re: MySQL and amanda
View as plain text
At 21:21 -0600 11/5/02, Lewis Watson wrote:
>Hey MySQL users!
>I have been using amanda as backup software. It seems that it is working
>fine as a backup for the MySQL data directory but I am wondering is there a
>better way to backup up the databases? They are production Db's so I really
>do not want to stop the server, but isn't this necessary to properly backup
>up the db directory?

Yes.  Taking a backup of a live data directory without taking measures
that involve coordination with the server only gives you backups of
files that aren't necessarily consistent for database purposes.  For
example, the server may be maintaining buffered updates that haven't yet been
flushed to disk.  Backups on such files are not necessarily of any value.

>Thanks.
>Lewis

Thread
MySQL and amandaLewis Watson6 Nov
  • RE: MySQL and amandaAlan McDonald6 Nov
  • Re: MySQL and amandaPaul DuBois6 Nov