List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael T. Babcock Date:November 5 2002 6:11pm
Subject:Re: Select by row number
View as plain text
horizonx@stripped wrote:

>There is a "primary key" which is not the main order to access rows.
>
>What I am emulating is a large memory space and the "primary key" is just
>used not to duplicate rows.

Please re-read my post as well as the very manual reference you later
gave; the PRIMARY KEY _is_ the row number, if you have one. If you use
auto_increment for your primary key, then ORDER BY {primary key} _is_
ordering by insert order.  If you want your query to use any other order, you
_must_ create a column for that purpose; the database subsystem has no
way of knowing (nor should it bother to track) what order rows are
inserted / stored in.

--
Michael T. Babcock
C.T.O., FibreSpeed Ltd.

Thread
Select by row numberhorizonx1 Nov
  • re: Select by row numberEgor Egorov2 Nov
    • RE: Select by row numberhorizonx2 Nov
      • re: RE: Select by row numberEgor Egorov4 Nov
Re: Select by row numberJan Steinman1 Nov
RE: Select by row numberhorizonx2 Nov
Re: Select by row numberMichael T. Babcock5 Nov