List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:November 2 2002 2:34am
Subject:Re: Fulltext index on a mediumblob column?
View as plain text
At 15:25 -0600 11/1/02, Aaron Merrick wrote:
>Ladies & Gentlemen,
>
>The manual says "FULLTEXT indexes are used with MyISAM tables and can be
>created from VARCHAR and TEXT columns at CREATE TABLE time or added later
>with ALTER TABLE or CREATE INDEX."

Believe the manual.

>I get the following error when I try to add a full text index for a
>mediumblob column - but not when I add it to any other columns -
>
>mysql> alter table knowledge add fulltext (k_body);
>ERROR 1005: Can't create table './preferred/#sql-c2_44.frm' (errno: 140)
>
>If it is true I can't use full text on a medium blob - can I do it on a
>mediumtext field?

It's true.
Yes, you can use mediumtext.

More precisely, you can use: CHAR and VARCHAR, if they're not declared
as BINARY, and any of the TEXT types.

You cannot use binary string columns.

>Is there a way to convert a column from one to the other?

Yes:

ALTER TABLE tbl_name MODIFY col_name MEDIUMTEXT;

>Thanks,
>Aaron
>
>myql

Thread
Fulltext queryPeter Engström26 Jun
  • Fulltext index on a mediumblob column?Aaron Merrick2 Nov
    • Re: Fulltext index on a mediumblob column?Joe Stump2 Nov
    • Re: Fulltext index on a mediumblob column?Paul DuBois2 Nov
      • Re: Fulltext index on a mediumblob column?Aaron Merrick1 Dec