List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:<horizonx Date:November 2 2002 1:08am
Subject:RE: Select by row number
View as plain text
There is a "primary key" which is not the main order to access rows.

What I am emulating is a large memory space and the "primary key" is just
used not to duplicate rows.

In the current DB I use, I simply use the row number as my "memory pointer".
Since rows are fixed length, it should be a straightforward matter to point
to the right one and not require a rowid and key.

mySQL must have an internal mean of referencing rows and that is what I'd
like to use.

I know there are limitations to the approach such as not issuing an ALTER
... ORDER BY ... but that won't be more necessary than changing an address
on a memory stick ...

> On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 18:15, horizonx@stripped wrote:
> > I need a 20 GB + DB that I'd like to access by row number or
> physical order.
> >

> SELECT ... ORDER BY PrimaryKey.
>
> You do have a primary key in the table, right?
> --
> Michael T. Babcock
> CTO, FibreSpeed Ltd.

Thread
Select by row numberhorizonx1 Nov
  • re: Select by row numberEgor Egorov2 Nov
    • RE: Select by row numberhorizonx2 Nov
      • re: RE: Select by row numberEgor Egorov4 Nov
Re: Select by row numberJan Steinman1 Nov
RE: Select by row numberhorizonx2 Nov
Re: Select by row numberMichael T. Babcock5 Nov