List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Lars Andersson Date:October 31 2002 7:35pm
Subject:Re: mysql fills the disk with temporary files?
View as plain text
Is there any way to put a limit on the size of temporary tables? Or is
it possible for my users to put the server down just by creating some
kind of big cartesian product as a result of a big join?

The server is used in an production environment and it would be a great
releaf if there is some way I can stop the users from filling up the
disks.

-- lars

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, gerald_clark wrote:

> You may have a malformed join that is giving you a very large result set.
> These would be the temporary tables.
>
> Lars Andersson wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I manage a mysql server with a few hundred users. All of a sudden mysql
> >has started to put large files in /tmp
> >
> >I've never noticed this behavior before. The files looks like this
> >
> >-rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql    3788431360 Oct 31 17:49 #sql420e_36b82b_1.MYD
> >-rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql        1024 Oct 31 17:39   #sql420e_36b82b_1.MYI
> >-rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql    1094713344 Oct 31 17:49 #sql420e_36b8c6_1.MYD
> >-rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql        1024 Oct 31 17:45   #sql420e_36b8c6_1.MYI
> >
> >I wonder if this is the result of someone making a heap table to big to
> >fit into the servers memory?
> >
> >How do I stop these files from filling my diskspace. The server filled
> >10GB of space in notime and forced me to halt the server and put in some
> >extra disks and symlink some directories to the new disks.
> >query,sql

Thread
: A simple one that gets me!scott31 Oct
  • Re: A simple one that gets me!Roger Baklund31 Oct
    • mysql fills the disk with temporary files?Lars Andersson31 Oct
      • Re: mysql fills the disk with temporary files?gerald_clark31 Oct
        • Re: mysql fills the disk with temporary files?Lars Andersson31 Oct
RE: mysql fills the disk with temporary files?Kelly W [PCS] Black31 Oct
  • RE: mysql fills the disk with temporary files?Lars Andersson31 Oct
RE: mysql fills the disk with temporary files?Kelly W [PCS] Black31 Oct
  • RE: mysql fills the disk with temporary files?Lars Andersson31 Oct
RE: mysql fills the disk with temporary files?Jan Steinman1 Nov
  • RE: mysql fills the disk with temporary files?Lars Andersson1 Nov
RE: mysql fills the disk with temporary files?Kelly W [PCS] Black1 Nov