List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael T. Babcock Date:October 28 2002 4:00pm
Subject:Re: database corrupted after power switched off
View as plain text
Mark wrote:

>>Again, make sure you check how your OS deals with >> write caching <<
>>and  consider turning it off on the partition / disk you're using for
>>DB storage.
>>

>I would certainly not do that. In fact, disk caches (for non 4.04 users) are
>an excellent, be it a poor man's, way of having a SELECT cache.

I specifically said _write_ caching; not read caching.  Read caches
won't damage your data (if properly coded), but write caches can hold
data in memory instead of on disk that never gets written in a power
failure.

(This has something to do with SQL ... ) :)

--
Michael T. Babcock
C.T.O., FibreSpeed Ltd.

Thread
database corrupted after power switched offTom Thurnherr28 Oct
  • RE: database corrupted after power switched offEd Carp28 Oct
  • re: database corrupted after power switched offVictoria Reznichenko28 Oct
re: database corrupted after power switched offBill Easton28 Oct
  • Re: database corrupted after power switched offMichael T. Babcock28 Oct
  • Re: database corrupted after power switched offMark28 Oct
  • Re: database corrupted after power switched offBill Easton28 Oct
  • Re: database corrupted after power switched offMichael T. Babcock28 Oct
RE: database corrupted after power switched offJan Steinman28 Oct