List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Date:October 28 2002 3:42pm
Subject:Re: database corrupted after power switched off
View as plain text
---- Original Message -----
From: "Michael T. Babcock" <mbabcock@stripped>
To: "Bill Easton" <bill@stripped>
Cc: <mysql@stripped>; "Tom Thurnherr" <thurnherr@stripped>
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 4:18 PM

> Again, make sure you check how your OS deals with write caching
> and  consider turning it off on the partition / disk you're using for
> DB storage.

I would certainly not do that. In fact, disk caches (for non 4.04 users) are
an excellent, be it a poor man's, way of having a SELECT cache. On my own
MySQL news server, with many recurring logins from the same people, disk
caches make an enormous difference. Since MySQL, through the disk cache,
effectively reads most of these SELECTS from memory, the speed of logins has
increased by an order of magnitude.

The proper way is NOT to disable disk cache, but to shut down mysqld
properly. In fact, I could make a cogent case stating that disabling disk
cache actually INCREASES the risk of corruption (because you can never hope
to expect a delayed write).

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,
we wouldn't call it code." - FedEx

Thread
database corrupted after power switched offTom Thurnherr28 Oct
  • RE: database corrupted after power switched offEd Carp28 Oct
  • re: database corrupted after power switched offVictoria Reznichenko28 Oct
re: database corrupted after power switched offBill Easton28 Oct
  • Re: database corrupted after power switched offMichael T. Babcock28 Oct
  • Re: database corrupted after power switched offMark28 Oct
  • Re: database corrupted after power switched offBill Easton28 Oct
  • Re: database corrupted after power switched offMichael T. Babcock28 Oct
RE: database corrupted after power switched offJan Steinman28 Oct