List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jon Frisby Date:October 23 2002 8:00pm
Subject:Vague error message...
View as plain text
A colleague asked me what was wrong with this query:

mysql> select user.id, email, count(click.id) as c from user, click
where when_signup >= '2002-11-10' and click.user_id = user.id group by
c;

ERROR 1056: Can't group on 'c'

Of course, it's logically impossible to group by the result of an
expression involving an aggregate function and my colleague certainly
knows better -- he just spaced out a bit.  That said, the error message
here wasn't useful in helping him to diagnose the problem.  It would
have been far more useful for the error message to be more clear about
*why* one cannot group on 'c'.

-JF

Thread
Rounding floatsMichael T. Babcock23 Oct
Re: Rounding floatsJan Steinman23 Oct
  • Re: Rounding floatsgerald_clark23 Oct
    • RE: Rounding floatsJon Frisby23 Oct
      • Vague error message...Jon Frisby23 Oct