List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:gerald_clark Date:October 23 2002 6:09pm
Subject:Re: Rounding floats
View as plain text
Oh, for BCD floating point.
My first computer with a language (SWTP 6800) had BCD math.
It had something like 6 byte mantissa and a 1 byte exponent.
That would give 11 digits with e +-99
Maybe we should have BCD data types.

Jan Steinman wrote:

>>From: "Michael T. Babcock" <mbabcock@stripped>
>>Kenneth Hylton wrote something about SQL or QUERYs:
>>

>>>I NEVER use float or double to store values like you appear to be doing...
>>>

>>FWIW, all of our financial database software stores values in either pennies or
> tenths of a cent, not dollars, to avoid decimals altogether.
>>

>FLOAT + money = lawsuit :-)

Thread
Rounding floatsMichael T. Babcock23 Oct
Re: Rounding floatsJan Steinman23 Oct
  • Re: Rounding floatsgerald_clark23 Oct
    • RE: Rounding floatsJon Frisby23 Oct
      • Vague error message...Jon Frisby23 Oct