List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:October 22 2002 9:03pm
Subject:RE: connecting to remote server
View as plain text
> > >If I type the following at the command prompt, in this
> example I'm using
> > >username for the user name,  and 66.66.66.66 for the IP address
> > >(although I use real values)
> > >
> > >mysql -h 66.66.66.66 -u username -p
> > >
> > >it asks for my password then goes off and thinks for a while before
> > >coming back with:
> > >
> > >ERROR 2003 - can't connect to MySQL server on 'ip address'  (port)

1. Try to telnet to port 3306 on the server.  Do you get any response at
all?  If it doesn't connect, either MySQL isn't running or it's not enabled
remote connections.  If it connects but just sits there and doesn't give
you back a few bytes of junk, you have a different problem ;)

2. If you can connect and get garbage, you'll have to get on the server
itself (or gain access to the server as a privileged user) to do anything
further.

Thread
connecting to remote serverJulia Maddocks22 Oct
  • Re: connecting to remote servergerald_clark22 Oct
  • Re: connecting to remote serverJulia Maddocks23 Oct
    • RE: connecting to remote serverEd Carp23 Oct