List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Steinman Date:October 22 2002 5:18pm
Subject:Re: "Calendar" database
View as plain text
>From: Todd Cary <todd@stripped>
>
>I would like to get some suggestions for the structure of a sql "Calendar" database.
> My task is to create a "Calendar" of events in the San Francisco Bay Area.  For instance,
> an event may be M-F 11:00 am, 3:30 pm, 7:30 pm and Sat 4:30 pm and 6:30 pm.

Unless this is for a class, or unless your employer just wants you to burn hours, or
unless your organization can't tolerate a GPL, why re-invent the wheel? Dates and times
are devilishly tricky things to program.

After a lot of searching and evaluating, I chose WebCalendar
<http://webcalendar.sourceforge.net>. You can see my results at
<http://www.bytesmiths.com/Events>. I added several fields for my purposes, which
wasn't terribly difficult. If you play with the search, there are no events prior to 3
July 2002 or after January 2003. The default is "from last Monday to the end of time."

WebCalendar has a bunch of stuff that I don't need or want, such as multiple language
support, multi-user support. Some features that I DID want appear broken or missing, like
groups.

FWIW, here's the notes I made during evaluation. All but the simplest of these are
PHP/MySQL based:

 1154   WebCalendar favorite so far, but buggy.
  286   calendar -- quite simple, perhaps simple enough to adapt!
  300   calendar-1: (Lucid) buggy! Dosent' work past 2001!
  174   calendar-3: simple event model that doesnt span days. Events are not links.
  530   calendar-5: wierd. Has two separate calendar layouts that don't share data! Has
good event facilities.
 1740   calogic: looks like lots of potential, but reqires newer version of mySQL!
   86   cst-calendar: events are mere text, not links. Too simple.
 1358   dotproject -- weak calendar display
  590   myPHPCalendar -- display bugs, incomplete
  158   phpplanner: cute & simple. Too simple.
11418   tutos -- too complicated!

The first column is the size of the code as reported by "du". My apologies in advance to
the WebCalendar authors for calling it "buggy," when what I probably meant at the time
was "quirky." What works, works well, but it has an unfinished feel about it.

There are numerous things out there simply called "calendar". Otherwise, it should be easy
to locate most of these using search engines. Look at <www.sourceforge.net> and
<www.php.net>.

IMHO, most of these put too much effort into GUI and not enough into data modelling. I
could care less about the GUI -- I planned to toss it anyway! Some of these are probably
wonderful for someone's needs, but the GUI was bound too tight to the data model for me.

I can't say I'm thrilled with the WebCalendar data model, but I bent it to my purpose in
just a few days, versus the weeks it might have taken me to do it from scratch.

---- SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL ----

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Newsletters now on-line at <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Newsletter>