List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:October 21 2002 11:16pm
Subject:Re: Japanese, Korean and English in same mysql db
View as plain text
At 16:04 -0700 10/21/02, Jimmy Vo wrote:
>Hi,
>I have a need to store many languages (Japanese, Korean, Spanish, English..)
>in the same mysql db.  I also need to search for these strings to see if
>they are already in the db for updates.  Of course, this is a problem since
>the charset setting drives the logic for searching.  I've browsed over posts
>about problems with sorting/searching mixed Japanese/English/other
>languages.
>
>Is the only option available to me is to preprocess these strings into
>something (Unicode ?) before storing and searching for them in the DB.
>
>Thanks.
>

>Jimmy Vo
>jvo@stripped

If you're talking about storing different languages in different columns,
you'll be able to do this easily in MySQL 4.1.  If you're talking about
storing values from different languages in the same column, then you won't
be able to do that unless you convert the values to a common encoding
first. Unicode would be an option for this.
Thread
Japanese, Korean and English in same mysql dbJimmy Vo22 Oct
  • Re: Japanese, Korean and English in same mysql dbPaul DuBois22 Oct