List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Steinman Date:October 21 2002 6:52pm
Subject:Re: Same syntax on MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server
View as plain text
>From: Christian Reichenbach <christian_reichenbach@stripped>
>
>>>We encountered that MySQL (or MyODBC) uses different
> >>quoting characters for legal names and strings.
>
>BSJ> Well, let's put it this way : tables names between
>BSJ> square brackets only exists in Microsoft!
>
>That might be right, but this is how Microsoft works.

<flame>I'm sorry, but I am VEHEMENTLY opposed to such arguments!

As revealed in court documents, Microsoft's official strategy toward standards is
"embrace, embellish, extinguish." That same court found Microsoft guilty of illegal
monopolistic actions -- a finding that that has withstood appeal.

That sort of attitude is an invitation to let Microsoft take over standards. And when they
accomplish that, they will change them every now and then, just as a way to kill off
effective third-party resistance, like MySQL! Just look what they tried to do to Java,
until a court injunction stopped them!

So, if you VALUE alternatives such as MySQL, then do what is right and port your
non-standard code on your own time! MySQL did not make you put the non-standard square
brackets in your code, so why should they be responsible for "fixing" your "broken"
code?</flame>

>Quoting like Micrsofot should not become standard, but an option.

That sounds like an excellent job for a third-party tool, NOT something to be built-in to
MySQL! Why don't you get started building it, Christian? Sounds like a few lines of Perl
code. I'm sure the MySQL team would be willing to make it available to others after you
build it.

That's the best of all worlds: people can use your tool if they need it, MySQL will not be
encumbered with maintaining even more #ifdefs, and you will be a hero. Get working on it!

>And
>I think, I am not the only one who will like it.

But please understand, there are those of us who will DISLIKE it!

Competition is good. Standards are good. Microsoft: Just Say No.

(This message is coming to you from a Microsoft-free zone. And they still send me
threatening letters to update Windows NOW to avoid an audit and expensive fines. Hell, I
INVITE them to audit!)

---- SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL  ----
--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>