List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Reichenbach Date:October 21 2002 2:23pm
Subject:Re: Same syntax on MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server
View as plain text
>>We encountered that MySQL (or MyODBC) uses different
>>quoting characters for legal names and strings. At present we
>>are using square brackets for names (like [my table], [my column] or
>>[my table].[my column]) and inverted commas for strings
>>(like mytxt = 'text').
>>
>>Is there an option for MySQL (or MyODBC) which makes
>>basic SQL of these databases compatible?

BSJ> Well, let's put it this way : tables names between
BSJ> square brackets only exists in Microsoft!  Oracle,
BSJ> Informix, Sybase, DB2 and all others aren't using
BSJ> square brackets to specify columns and table names!
BSJ> So SQL is pretty standard here!

That might be right, but this is how Microsoft works.
I think it would be a big advantage if it is possible to use mySQL
instead of MS SQL Server not only at the startup of a new project.
It's so nice to have instruments like MyODBC, why break here?
Quoting like Micrsofot should not become standard, but an option. And
I think, I am not the only one who will like it.

 Christian

Same syntax on MySQL and Microsoft SQL ServerChristian Reichenbach21 Oct
Re: Same syntax on MySQL and Microsoft SQL ServerChristian Reichenbach21 Oct
Re: Same syntax on MySQL and Microsoft SQL ServerJan Steinman21 Oct
Re[2]: Same syntax on MySQL and Microsoft SQL ServerChristian Reichenbach22 Oct
Re[2]: Same syntax on MySQL and Microsoft SQL ServerJan Steinman22 Oct
Re: Same syntax on MySQL and Microsoft SQL ServerMichael T. Babcock22 Oct