List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Randy Hammons Date:October 20 2002 3:42pm
Subject:how do you define a relationship?
View as plain text
 I think I've firmed my "theoritical" understanding of relationships enough
to be dangerous.  Now for the logical part....how do you actually define a
relationship in mysql?  For instance...

 table movies
 columns (movie id(pk) , movie title , year filmed)

 table directors
 columns (director id(pk), movie id(fk), total movies)

 Here I have a primary key in each table which I have defined in my table
structure.  I also have a foreign key in the directors table, but where did
I define that to the database?  Is this a sort of relationship?  Like a one
to many?  I've noticed in some reading that certain keys are refered to by
their respective names ( column - whatever ) and the relatioship column is
defined as ( column - relwhatever ), is this the proper way to define a
relationship?  Is the primary/foreignkey,  relationship concept something
that is used by the database to replicate data or are they design tools used
to develope an independent, non repetitive data structure?  Someone please
help...I'm so confused.  Thanks so much....

Thread
how do you define a relationship?Randy Hammons20 Oct
  • Re: how do you define a relationship?Richard Clarke20 Oct
  • RE: how do you define a relationship?bwarehouse21 Oct
    • RE: how do you define a relationship?Arthur Fuller21 Oct
      • Re: how do you define a relationship?Michael T. Babcock21 Oct
RE: how do you define a relationship?Jan Steinman21 Oct
Re: how do you define a relationship?Michael T. Babcock21 Oct
RE: how do you define a relationship?Hammons Randy G SSgt 612 ACOMS/SCXX22 Oct
  • Re: how do you define a relationship?Peter Brawley22 Oct
  • RE: how do you define a relationship?Arthur Fuller23 Oct
    • re: RE: how do you define a relationship?Egor Egorov24 Oct
  • Re: how do you define a relationship?Michael T. Babcock8 Nov