List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:March 31 1999 10:32am
Subject:Re: [Shouldn't the hostname be given in the log file?]
View as plain text

Sasha> seth@stripped wrote:

>> If I connect to my MySQL server from a remote host,
>> then no hostname (or ip number) is provided after the
>> @ in the log file.  For example:
>>
>> 990330 12:38:43     769 Connect    seth@ on
>>
>> Maybe this explains is why the host field in the user table
>> in the mysql database is not working.
>>
>> But is this a problem that is related to resolveip and
>> the problems with pre-complied glibc binaries on Linux?
>> But if so, then how will one be able to validate remotehosts?

Sasha> I have not looked at the sources of mysql that do the
Sasha> logging, but I thinks the problem is that mysql relies
Sasha> on the hostent structure returned by gethostbyaddr()
Sasha> called with the IP obtained from getpeername() . hostent
Sasha> will be NULL if the DNS does not have a working inverse
Sasha> lookup. Try nslookup ip_of_trouble_host to see if the
Sasha> reverse lookups are working. I am amlost 100% sure they
Sasha> are not in your situation either because of DNS
Sasha> misconfiguration or because your /etc/resolv.conf points
Sasha> to a DNS server that is down.

Sasha> Patching this should be easy, only a couple of extra
Sasha> lines.

Hi!

Yes, the above is probably because of an glibc/libc conflict.
In the above case, the remote host can only be validated based on the
ip.  MySQL 3.22.21 will in the above case log the ip number instead of
the host name!

Regards,
Monty

Thread
[Shouldn't the hostname be given in the log file?]seth31 Mar
  • Re: [Shouldn't the hostname be given in the log file?]Sasha Pachev31 Mar
    • Re: [Shouldn't the hostname be given in the log file?]Seth Chaiklin31 Mar
    • Re: [Shouldn't the hostname be given in the log file?]Michael Widenius31 Mar