List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Steinman Date:October 16 2002 8:04pm
Subject:Re: How many columns does MySQL Support?
View as plain text
>From: "Andrew Kuebler" <akuebler@stripped>
>
>2) Is it just as fast with Mysql to access 10 fields in a table with 10
>columns as it would be to access those same 10 fields among let's say 90
>other fields in a 100 column table?

Are you certain that performance should be your primary concern here?

I prefer to design databases with separate tables of tightly coupled information, then
LEFT JOIN them as needed. This makes maintenance much easier, and may also be a
performance plus, due to locality of reference issues.

Only when I'm certain that this form (4NF? I forget) is negatively impacting performance
do I bother optimizing to 3NF by permanently joining tables.

---- SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL ----

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature photography: <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Join the forums at <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/wiki>

Thread
How many columns does MySQL Support?Andrew Kuebler16 Oct
  • Re: How many columns does MySQL Support?Brent Baisley16 Oct
Re: How many columns does MySQL Support?Jan Steinman17 Oct