List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael T. Babcock Date:October 16 2002 5:07pm
Subject:Re: MySQl db as filesystem.
View as plain text
Jan Steinman wrote:

>I believe the Pick operating system from the 70's had a database filesystem, for
> example. It was popular among business types. As I recall, it also had a BASIC command
> interpreter as its primary way of interacting with the system.

FWIW, we use Pick database systems quite a bit where I work -- see
http://www.picksys.com and http://www.jbase.com for more information.

>Today's "modern" operating systems really stopped evolving in the 80's. Many ideas
> like database filesystems never really got a chance to show their utility.

Although recent filesystem developments like ReiserFS (especially
version 4) are really shining through.

>I agree that it would be interesting to slide MySQL under a filesystem, but it sounds
> like a lot of work!

... although probably not the least bit useful -- if you look at some of
the great stuff Reiser4 does, you probably won't see a need to use a
backend like MySQL at all.

--
Michael T. Babcock
C.T.O., FibreSpeed Ltd.

Thread
MySQl db as filesystem.Alex Polite10 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Paul DuBois11 Oct
    • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Joel Rees11 Oct
      • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Paul DuBois11 Oct
      • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Jayce^11 Oct
    • RE: MySQl db as filesystem.Ed Carp11 Oct
      • RE: MySQl db as filesystem.Tech)11 Oct
        • RE: MySQl db as filesystem.Ed Carp11 Oct
          • RE: MySQl db as filesystem.Tech)11 Oct
    • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Alex Polite11 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Harald Fuchs11 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Michael T. Babcock11 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Christian Jaeger11 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Joshua J . Kugler12 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Anthony W. Marino12 Oct
  • Lost connection to MySQL server during queryYanglong Zhu12 Oct
  • Lost connection to MySQL server during queryYanglong Zhu12 Oct
  • Re: Lost connection to MySQL server during queryGerald R. Jensen12 Oct
  • Re: Lost connection to MySQL server during queryYanglong Zhu12 Oct
  • Re: Lost connection to MySQL server during queryGerald R. Jensen13 Oct
  • Re: Lost connection to MySQL server during queryYanglong Zhu13 Oct
Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Paul DuBois11 Oct
Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Jan Steinman12 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.David Garamond12 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Anthony W. Marino12 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Michael T. Babcock16 Oct