List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Steinman Date:October 12 2002 3:16am
Subject:Re: MySQl db as filesystem.
View as plain text
>From: Paul DuBois <paul@stripped>
>
>At 12:58 +0200 10/10/02, Alex Polite wrote:
>>Is there any way I could display a MySQL database as a filesystem
>>under Linux?
>
>What does that mean?

There's a long (though obscure) history of using database-like engines as filesystems.
There are considerable advantages, such as user-defined file metadata, journalling,
simple to implement automatic version control, super-fast searching, etc, that would make
this attractive to many folks.

I believe the Pick operating system from the 70's had a database filesystem, for example.
It was popular among business types. As I recall, it also had a BASIC command interpreter
as its primary way of interacting with the system.

Today's "modern" operating systems really stopped evolving in the 80's. Many ideas like
database filesystems never really got a chance to show their utility.

I agree that it would be interesting to slide MySQL under a filesystem, but it sounds like
a lot of work!

---- SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL  ----

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature photography: <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Join the forums at <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/wiki>
        • RE: MySQl db as filesystem.Ed Carp11 Oct
          • RE: MySQl db as filesystem.Tech)11 Oct
    • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Alex Polite11 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Harald Fuchs11 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Michael T. Babcock11 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Christian Jaeger11 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Joshua J . Kugler12 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Anthony W. Marino12 Oct
  • Lost connection to MySQL server during queryYanglong Zhu12 Oct
  • Lost connection to MySQL server during queryYanglong Zhu12 Oct
  • Re: Lost connection to MySQL server during queryGerald R. Jensen12 Oct
  • Re: Lost connection to MySQL server during queryYanglong Zhu12 Oct
  • Re: Lost connection to MySQL server during queryGerald R. Jensen13 Oct
  • Re: Lost connection to MySQL server during queryYanglong Zhu13 Oct
Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Paul DuBois11 Oct
Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Jan Steinman12 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.David Garamond12 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Anthony W. Marino12 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Michael T. Babcock16 Oct