List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Alex Polite Date:October 11 2002 5:54pm
Subject:Re: MySQl db as filesystem.
View as plain text
On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 05:56:31PM -0500, Paul DuBois wrote:
> At 12:58 +0200 10/10/02, Alex Polite wrote:
> >Is there any way I could display a MySQL database as a filesystem
> >under Linux?
>
> What does that mean?

What I want is a device that actually is an interface to a db table.
I mount (read only would suffice for my needs) the device on some
mount point, cd into that directory and will then be able to see
entries in the db table represented as files. One part of creating the
device is of course the formulation of an SQL query that will decide
what entries to the display, what field constitutes the file etc, etc.

I can imagine a lot of uses for this. Say for instance that you want
to organize digital photographs in MySQL db. (Not that I would want to
do such a strange thing, just for the sake of the argument :)

When you want to view the pictures you have to either write them as
files and then use any picture viewer to view those files or get a
picture viewer that can talk directly to MySQL.

I'm very found of a picture viewer (freevo.sourceforge.net) that (at
the moment) can't talk to MySQL. I want to store my pictures in MySQL
and I want to be able to look at them in Freevo. So either I hack up
Freevo to use MySQL or I thwart MySQL into behaving as something
Freevo already knows how to access: a filesystem.

alex

--
Alex Polite
http://plusseven.com/gpg
        • RE: MySQl db as filesystem.Ed Carp11 Oct
          • RE: MySQl db as filesystem.Tech)11 Oct
    • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Alex Polite11 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Harald Fuchs11 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Michael T. Babcock11 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Christian Jaeger11 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Joshua J . Kugler12 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Anthony W. Marino12 Oct
  • Lost connection to MySQL server during queryYanglong Zhu12 Oct
  • Lost connection to MySQL server during queryYanglong Zhu12 Oct
  • Re: Lost connection to MySQL server during queryGerald R. Jensen12 Oct
  • Re: Lost connection to MySQL server during queryYanglong Zhu12 Oct
  • Re: Lost connection to MySQL server during queryGerald R. Jensen13 Oct
  • Re: Lost connection to MySQL server during queryYanglong Zhu13 Oct
Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Paul DuBois11 Oct
Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Jan Steinman12 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.David Garamond12 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Anthony W. Marino12 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Michael T. Babcock16 Oct