List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:October 11 2002 5:14pm
Subject:Re: MySQl db as filesystem.
View as plain text
At 15:46 +0200 10/11/02, Alex Polite wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 05:56:31PM -0500, Paul DuBois wrote:
>>  At 12:58 +0200 10/10/02, Alex Polite wrote:
>>  >Is there any way I could display a MySQL database as a filesystem
>>  >under Linux?
>>
>>  What does that mean?
>
>What I want is a device that actually is an interface to a db table.
>I mount (read only would suffice for my needs) the device on some
>mount point, cd into that directory and will then be able to see
>entries in the db table represented as files. One part of creating the
>device is of course the formulation of an SQL query that will decide
>what entries to the display, what field constitutes the file etc, etc.
>
>I can imagine a lot of uses for this. Say for instance that you want
>to organize digital photographs in MySQL db. (Not that I would want to
>do such a strange thing, just for the sake of the argument :)
>
>When you want to view the pictures you have to either write them as
>files and then use any picture viewer to view those files or get a
>picture viewer that can talk directly to MySQL.
>
>I'm very found of a picture viewer (freevo.sourceforge.net) that (at
>the moment) can't talk to MySQL. I want to store my pictures in MySQL
>and I want to be able to look at them in Freevo. So either I hack up
>Freevo to use MySQL or I thwart MySQL into behaving as something
>Freevo already knows how to access: a filesystem.
>
>alex
>
>--
>Alex Polite
>http://plusseven.com/gpg

Thanks for clarifying that.

There was actually some work done on a mechanism much as you describe;
you can read about it here:

http://no.spam.ee/~tonu/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3
http://no.spam.ee/~tonu/modules.php?name=News&new_topic=2
Thread
MySQl db as filesystem.Alex Polite10 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Paul DuBois11 Oct
    • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Joel Rees11 Oct
      • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Paul DuBois11 Oct
      • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Jayce^11 Oct
    • RE: MySQl db as filesystem.Ed Carp11 Oct
      • RE: MySQl db as filesystem.Tech)11 Oct
        • RE: MySQl db as filesystem.Ed Carp11 Oct
          • RE: MySQl db as filesystem.Tech)11 Oct
    • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Alex Polite11 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Harald Fuchs11 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Michael T. Babcock11 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Christian Jaeger11 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Joshua J . Kugler12 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Anthony W. Marino12 Oct
  • Lost connection to MySQL server during queryYanglong Zhu12 Oct
  • Lost connection to MySQL server during queryYanglong Zhu12 Oct
  • Re: Lost connection to MySQL server during queryGerald R. Jensen12 Oct
  • Re: Lost connection to MySQL server during queryYanglong Zhu12 Oct
  • Re: Lost connection to MySQL server during queryGerald R. Jensen13 Oct
  • Re: Lost connection to MySQL server during queryYanglong Zhu13 Oct
Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Paul DuBois11 Oct
Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Jan Steinman12 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.David Garamond12 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Anthony W. Marino12 Oct
  • Re: MySQl db as filesystem.Michael T. Babcock16 Oct