List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:toby z Date:October 10 2002 8:46am
Subject:RE: storing PDF files in mysql ?????
View as plain text
thnx jan

vat im planning to do NOW is
ill store path to the pdf file in the db
as i ve been told the files r gonna take a hell lotta space (n i ve planty
of them)

secondly i ll keep the TEXT of these pdf files in the db for indexing n them
compare search keywordz with these n throw out the matching pdf file (no
other way i can see about it)

third pal
if u ve ever worked with these thinggyz
i cant figure out how to disabble text selection while im cpnverting word to
PDF so that nobdy can copy the files
(im using acrobat dissteller for conversion if this helps)

thnx a mill

toby ......

>From: Jan Steinman <Jan@stripped>
>To: mysql@stripped
>Subject: RE: storing PDF files in mysql ?????
>Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:58:33 -0700
>
> >From: "Sqlcoders.com Programming Dept" <coders@stripped>
> >
> >You should look into (via google.com) some doc to pdf converters. An
>example
> >is this com object:
>http://www.convertzone.com/doc2pdfcom/help.htm#HowtoBuy,
> >it costs $219 and converts .doc to .pdf.
>
>That's $219 saved if you're on MacOS X, since PDF conversion is universally
>available to any application that can print.
>
> >Once you have the document in PDF, it's a relatively trivial action to
>store
> >the documents in your MySQL database.
>
>Using BLOBs, I assume? I believe the original quester also wanted to be
>able to search them, which I believe is non-trivial! You can't simply slap
>a FULLTEXT index on them, right?
>
>It seems to me one would have to create an index BEFORE putting the PDFs in
>MySQL, then add that index as a separate FULLTEXT field.
>
>---- SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL ----
>
>--
>: Jan Steinman -- nature photography: <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
>: Bytesmiths -- artists' services: <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Services>
>: Join the forums at <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/wiki>

storing PDF files in mysql ?????toby gibbson8 Oct
  • Re: storing PDF files in mysql ?????R.Dobson8 Oct
Re: storing PDF files in mysql ?????toby z8 Oct
  • Re: storing PDF files in mysql ?????kayamboo9 Oct
    • RE: storing PDF files in mysql ?????Sqlcoders.com Programming Dept9 Oct
    • RE: storing PDF files in mysql ?????Alexis Antonakis9 Oct
      • Re: storing PDF files in mysql ?????Michael T. Babcock9 Oct
      • AW: storing PDF files in mysql ?????Kai Zaunick9 Oct
      • Re: storing PDF files in mysql ?????kayamboo10 Oct
RE: storing PDF files in mysql ?????toby z9 Oct
  • Re: storing PDF files in mysql ?????kayamboo10 Oct
RE: storing PDF files in mysql ?????Jan Steinman9 Oct
RE: storing PDF files in mysql ?????toby z10 Oct