List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael T. Babcock Date:October 8 2002 3:35pm
Subject:Re: CHAR vs. VARCHAR
View as plain text
Before I forget: SQL, QUERY ... going write a filter for these some day ...

christophe barbe wrote:

>What are the disadvantages of using VARCHAR instead of CHAR.
>Is it going to be considerably slower?

It really depends on your table, but if you find it slower, break down
into multiple tables:

create table FeedbackForm (
    ID int unsigned, Name char(50), Address char(50), FeedbackCommentID
int unsigned
);
create table FeedbackComment (
    ID int unsigned, Comment blob
);

Then your searches through the FeedbackForm are good and fast, and
finding the correct Feedback Comments isn't so bad either, but not _as_
fast.

BTW, SQL ... QUERY ... bah ...

--
Michael T. Babcock
C.T.O., FibreSpeed Ltd.

Thread
CHAR vs. VARCHARchristophe barbe8 Oct
  • Re: CHAR vs. VARCHARMichael T. Babcock8 Oct
    • Re: CHAR vs. VARCHARChristophe Barbe8 Oct
  • Re: CHAR vs. VARCHARMichael T. Babcock8 Oct
  • Re: CHAR vs. VARCHARMichael T. Babcock8 Oct
  • Re: CHAR vs. VARCHARBrent Baisley8 Oct
    • Re: CHAR vs. VARCHARChristophe BarbĂ©8 Oct
    • Re: CHAR vs. VARCHARchristophe barbe8 Oct
Re: CHAR vs. VARCHARJan Steinman9 Oct