List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 2 1999 4:38pm
Subject:Re: problem with order by clause
View as plain text
>>>>> "Shaoping" == Shaoping Xie <sp_xie@stripped> writes:

Shaoping> Dear Jani:
Shaoping>     I have tested the order by clause again. Something is quite weird:

Shaoping>     My database contains the historical data of the different stocks.
Shaoping> The following select statement works well:
Shaoping>     SELECT * FROM historical
Shaoping>     where SYMBOL='MSFT';

Shaoping>   But nothing was selected when using order by clause
Shaoping>     SELECT * FROM historical
Shaoping>     where SYMBOL='MSFT'
Shaoping>     ORDER BY low (or other fields)

Shaoping>   However, the following select statement works:
Shaoping>     SELECT * FROM historical
Shaoping>     WHERE symbol='P'
Shaoping>     ORDER BY low (or other fields)

Shaoping>   The difference I can think about is that I indexed the first three
Shaoping> letters of the symbol, which theoretically should not affect the order
Shaoping> by clause.

Shaoping>     Tomorrow I will drop and recreate the index and test the order by
Shaoping> clause again.

Hi!

Any change you can ftp a copy of your tables (that doesn't work) to
ftp://www.mysql.com/pub/mysql/secret so that I can check this before
making a new 3.23 release?

Regards,
Monty
Thread
problem with order by clauseShaoping Xie19 Aug
  • problem with order by clausesinisa19 Aug
Re: problem with order by clauseShaoping Xie19 Aug
  • Re: problem with order by clauseJani Tolonen20 Aug
Re: problem with order by clauseShaoping Xie20 Aug
  • Re: problem with order by clauseMichael Widenius2 Sep