List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ken Menzel Date:September 25 2002 11:05pm
Subject:Re: client library no longer LGPL licensing
View as plain text

> Does this also apply to non-open-source but free applications?  For
> example, we give away Escapade for free - always have, always will,
> at least for the minimal version of the product.  If we develop a
> non-free version of Escapade that uses mysqlclient, what happens
> then?  We also distribute statically-linked and dynamically-linked
> versions of the product, and I would be interested in knowing
MySQL's
> position on this issue in regards to licensing.

Excellent question and our point also,   we give away our non-open
source application as well and do not charge a per user/copy/customer
charge for the client or restrict copies.  We DO have licensed servers
and and we DO charge for using our servers.  I have been contacted be
e-mail by MySQL licensing and am looking forward to having my
questions answered.  We are still using MySQL 3 so I think we are OK.
But was planning on going to MySQL 4 soon.  I wonder how this affect
the Mascon people (Neat little app also).

Anyway I can understand MySQL's need to grow and would hope they
continue to listen to us MySQL developers as they always have.  (And I
think they will).  But I do feel this is an important change for
anyone working with a windows client for MySQL and want to be able to
earn dinner! And I would hope for open discussions.  We all want MySQL
to succeed as a DB and as a company.

Ken

> - --
> Ed Carp, N7EKG          http://www.pobox.com/~erc
> 214/986-5870
> Licensed Texas Peace Officer
> Computer Crime Investigation Consultant
>
> Director, Software Development
> Escapade Server-Side Scripting Engine Development Team
> Pensacola - Dallas - London - Dresden
> http://www.squishedmosquito.com
>
> "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace
> alarmed-- and thus clamorous to be let to safety-- by menacing it
> with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
> - -- H. L. Mencken

Thread
client library no longer LGPL licensingKen Menzel25 Sep
  • Re: client library no longer LGPL licensingDavid Axmark25 Sep
    • RE: client library no longer LGPL licensingEd Carp26 Sep
      • Re: client library no longer LGPL licensingKen Menzel26 Sep
        • Re: client library no longer LGPL licensingDavid Axmark2 Oct
      • RE: client library no longer LGPL licensingDavid Axmark2 Oct