List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Pete Harlan Date:September 25 2002 7:07pm
Subject:Re: Max NB of MyISAM tables / DB ( Ext3 & linux )
View as plain text
> If not, i know that ext3 can have ten of thousands files in a directory.
> But commande like 'ls' will become slower and slower ...
> Is this also slowing mysql ?

I believe it would have to.  There is a patch somewhere (I don't know
if it's maintained) for adding indexed directories to ext2/ext3 to
help this problem, or you could use a different filesystem, such as
ReiserFS that indexes directories out of the box.  In an environment
where directory accesses far outnumber directory modifications, you
should see a good improvement if you have 20K files in the directory.

('ls' slows down for reasons besides reading the directory; it usually
sorts its output, and it's often set up to guess file type for each of
the files.  Turn those off and it usually goes quite quickly.)

--Pete
Thread
Max NB of MyISAM tables / DB ( Ext3 & linux )David Bordas25 Sep
  • Re: Max NB of MyISAM tables / DB ( Ext3 & linux )Dan Nelson25 Sep
  • Re: Max NB of MyISAM tables / DB ( Ext3 & linux )Iikka Meriläinen25 Sep
  • Re: Max NB of MyISAM tables / DB ( Ext3 & linux )Pete Harlan25 Sep
    • Re: Max NB of MyISAM tables / DB ( Ext3 & linux )i.t26 Sep
Re: Max NB of MyISAM tables / DB ( Ext3 & linux )Iikka Meriläinen26 Sep
  • Re: Max NB of MyISAM tables / DB ( Ext3 & linux )David Bordas27 Sep