List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 23 2002 4:20pm
Subject:RE: multi-table select (not a join)
View as plain text
At 0:23 -0700 9/23/02, neal wrote:
>Oh man!
>
>Yeah, you're right.  That's exactly what I want but apparently it wasn't
>implemented until v4??!?!?!

Right.

>What did people do prior to version 4 when needing to query multiple tables?
>Just endure the overhead of multiple connections to the database?

Not sure why you'd need multiple *connections*.  You can use multiple
*queries*, for example like this:

CREATE TABLE tmp SELECT ... FROM t1 ...
INSERT INTO tmp SELECT ... FROM t2 ...
INSERT INTO tmp SELECT ... FROM t3 ...

At the end of this, tmp will be the same as if you'd done UNION.
More precisely, as if you'd done UNION ALL, because duplicates won't
be removed.  To remove them, use SELECT DISTINCT when retriving from
tmp.

>Thanks.
>Neal

Thread
multi-table select (not a join)neal23 Sep
RE: multi-table select (not a join)neal23 Sep
  • RE: multi-table select (not a join)Paul DuBois23 Sep
    • RE: multi-table select (not a join)neal23 Sep
      • RE: multi-table select (not a join)Paul DuBois23 Sep
        • RE: multi-table select (not a join)neal23 Sep
          • RE: multi-table select (not a join)Paul DuBois23 Sep
        • RE: multi-table select (not a join)Paul DuBois23 Sep
    • Re: multi-table select (not a join)Jesse Sheidlower23 Sep
      • Re: multi-table select (not a join)Paul DuBois23 Sep
RE: multi-table select (not a join)Herman Verkade23 Sep