List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 20 2002 1:56pm
Subject:Re: Japanese Charset
View as plain text
At 9:09 +0000 9/20/02, xuefer tinys wrote:
>i'm sure mysql4.x have wrong algorithm to escape/unescape multibyte chars
>a multibyte is escaped while server read it, it maybe a pair of single byte
>or a pair of single byte escaped while server read it, it appears as multibyte
>both of these two situation make server unescape incorrectly
>i've post the problem, no one take attention to it. at least, those
>who not using multibyte will never care about this problem.

You'll probably find that the issue receives more developer attention
if you can provide hard evidence that there is a problem, preferably
accompanied by a repeatable test case.  The assertion "I'm sure MySQL
has a problem" just doesn't carry much weight otherwise.  There are plenty
of assertions like that on this mailing list, the vast majority of which turn
out to be misunderstanding on the user end.

I'm not saying you haven't uncovered a real bug, just that a better
demonstration that there *is* a bug would be more helpful than just making
a claim.

>dunno weather your problem really cause by this wrong
>multi-byte-escape-algorithm
>
>>From: Joel Rees <joel@stripped>
>>To: "Dawn Friedland" <dawn@stripped>
>>CC: mysql@stripped
>>Subject: Re: Japanese Charset
>>Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:25:29 +0900

>>>  The problem characters are the ASCII backslash and the ASCII tilde -
>>  > Good to know, I will eliminate those, although there are still many
>more
>>  > problem characters.
>>
>>Well, actually, the one-byte backslash and tilde you can leave alone.
>>They survive intact, they just display differently over here.
>>Everybody's used to it, so no problem. Even programming in C, when we
>>write something like '\t', the backslash (0x5c) shows up in our editors
>>as the yen symbol, and we pretend that the escape character is the yen
>>symbol, because, for us, when the encoding is shift-JIS, it is. So don't
>>worry about the one-byte characters.

>>I checked the text you gave me, and I found what's getting clobbered.
>>It's the latter half of characters like the katakana 'so'.
>>
>>Although the byte that is getting walked on here is 0x5c, this is _not_
>>the escape character. It is preceded (in the case of katakana 'so') by a
>>byte of 0x83. The entire character is '0x835c', and the 0x5c is being
>>treated as if it were a backslash. There are other characters that will
>>get hit by this, by the way.
>>
>>Bells ringing all over in my head. I think your content tool is
>>mishandling backslashes, but it could be that MySQL or the driver is
>>doing something the tool doesn't expect. (Well, really, the tool is
>>probably mis-handling the backslashes.)
>>
>>This is actually independent of the language issues. I'm pretty sure
>>I've seen this subject come up before on the list, just can't remember
>>which way the turkey rolled. But your content tool will need to do
>>something slightly different with the input.
>>
>>Could you search the archives about escape sequences or the backslash
>>character?
>>
>>(Maybe someone who remembers could chime in here?)
>>
>>--
>>Joel Rees <joel@stripped>

Japanese CharsetDawn Friedland18 Sep
  • Re: Japanese CharsetJoel Rees18 Sep
RE: Japanese CharsetDawn Friedland19 Sep
  • Re: Japanese CharsetJoel Rees20 Sep
Re: Japanese Charsetxuefer tinys20 Sep
  • RE: Japanese CharsetShashank Tripathi20 Sep
  • Re: Japanese CharsetPaul DuBois20 Sep
Re: Japanese Charsetxuefer tinys20 Sep
  • RE: Japanese CharsetShashank Tripathi20 Sep
RE: Japanese Charsetxuefer tinys20 Sep
RE: Japanese CharsetDawn Friedland24 Sep
  • Re: Japanese Charsetkayamboo24 Sep
  • Re: Japanese CharsetJoel Rees24 Sep
RE: Japanese CharsetDawn Friedland27 Sep
  • Re: Japanese CharsetJoel Rees27 Sep
  • Re: Japanese CharsetMichael T. Babcock27 Sep
Re: Japanese CharsetMichael T. Babcock27 Sep
  • Re: Japanese CharsetKirk Samuelson29 Sep
RE: Japanese CharsetDawn Friedland29 Sep
  • Re: Japanese CharsetJoel Rees30 Sep
  • Re: Japanese CharsetMichael T. Babcock30 Sep
RE: Japanese CharsetDawn Friedland30 Sep
  • Re: Japanese CharsetJoel Rees1 Oct
RE: Japanese CharsetDawn Friedland30 Sep
  • Re: Japanese Charsetgerald_clark1 Oct
RE: Japanese CharsetDawn Friedland1 Oct
  • Re: Japanese CharsetJoel Rees1 Oct
  • Re: Japanese Charsetgerald_clark1 Oct
  • Re: Japanese CharsetMichael T. Babcock1 Oct
  • Re: Japanese Charsetgerald_clark1 Oct