List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:MySQL Date:September 19 2002 11:50pm
Subject:Re: Fractions
View as plain text
   Mailing-List: contact mysql-help@stripped; run by ezmlm (http://www.ezmlm.org)
   Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:54:55 -0500
   From: Paul DuBois <paul@stripped>
   News-Group: list.mysql

   At 20:47 -0500 9/18/02, William Martell wrote:
   >Hello.
   >
   >Can anyone tell me whether we can represent fractions in MySQL 4.0.  I have
   >data representing different lengths of objects measured in inches.  Can I
   >load this data as is into a field in MySQL or do I have to convert it first
   >into an floating point interger or decimal value???

   You could store them as strings, but you'd have to interpret them on
   the client side, most likely.

In which case you might as well store them as reals, with char
substitution (interpret).  As reals, later when the inevitable desire
occurs to add different lengths, it will be simple.
Thread
FractionsWilliam Martell19 Sep
  • Re: FractionsPaul DuBois19 Sep
    • Re: FractionsMySQL20 Sep