List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 1 1999 12:07pm
Subject:mysqld hangs in infinite loop on particular sequence of updates
View as plain text
>>>>> "martin" == martin gisch <martin.gisch@stripped> writes:

martin> 	For one particular table I have, running a series of inserts,
martin> 	followed by one update which updates one of the inserted lines,
martin> 	the mysqld process hangs and starts chewing up all available cpu
martin> 	cycles.

>> How-To-Repeat:
martin> 	I apologize for the length of this query sequence, but if I trim it
martin> 	down to only the 'ncr.com' affecting entries, the error does not occur.

<cut>

Hi!

The problem is the following query:

martin> update smtp_out set messages=messages+2055,bytes=bytes+3177999 where
> date=19990717 and src=0 and domain='ncr.com' and mailhost='mercury.ebay';

In MySQL 3.22 you can't update an index that is used in the WHERE
clause in all cases.  (This is already fixed in 3.23.2).

Fix:

One of the following:

- Remove the 'messages' part from the index

- Change the query to not use the 'date' index
  update smtp_out set messages=messages+2055,bytes=bytes+3177999 where date+0=19990717 and
src=0 and domain='ncr.com' and mailhost='mercury.ebay';

- upgrade to 3.23.2

Regards,
Monty

Thread
mysqld hangs in infinite loop on particular sequence of updatesmartin.gisch1 Sep
  • Re: mysqld hangs in infinite loop on particular sequence of updatessinisa1 Sep
  • mysqld hangs in infinite loop on particular sequence of updatesMichael Widenius1 Sep