List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:March 30 1999 6:05pm
Subject:INSERT ignoring NULLs
View as plain text
>>>>> "Greg" == Greg Kelley <gkelley@stripped> writes:

Greg> I have created a SQL script file that creates a table then populates it with
Greg> INSERT INTO table VALUES ('blah','blah','etc')

Greg> MySQL is running under Redhat Linux v5.2

Greg> It appears that values of NULL cause subsequent field values to shift up and
Greg> fill in what should have been the NULL value.  The script seems OK - is
Greg> there a problem with MySQL and scripts?

Greg> The 5th field (expdt) instead of a getting NULL value is getting the 6th
Greg> value (28540) that belongs to field 6 (anlrt).  I have 11 tables and over
Greg> 150,000 records to move from M$-Acce$$ to MySQL.

Greg> Sorry for the large mail message, but here is part of the script: (thanks
Greg> for any insights...)

<cut>

Hi!

I just tested this;

After executing the commands, I got (I only select the 4,5,6 and 7:th field)::

mysql> select birdt,expdt,anlrt,hrlrt from HR1;
+---------------------+-------+------------+--------+
| birdt               | expdt | anlrt      | hrlrt  |
+---------------------+-------+------------+--------+
| 1988-07-01 00:00:00 | NULL  | 28540.0000 | 0.0000 |
+---------------------+-------+------------+--------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Which corresponds to:

<cut>

Greg>      '1988-07-01 00:00:00',
Greg>      NULL,
Greg>      28540,
Greg>      0,

Which looks ok!

What did you get ?

Please remember to always provide a COMPLETE example and use the
mysqlbug script!

You can find information how to do a correct bug report at:

http://www.tcx.se/Manual_chapter/manual_Questions.html#Asking_questions

Yours,
Monty
Thread
INSERT ignoring NULLsGreg Kelley17 Mar
  • Re: INSERT ignoring NULLsChristian Mack17 Mar
  • INSERT ignoring NULLsMichael Widenius30 Mar