List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 11 2002 3:04am
Subject:Re: Default Win install --> mySQL autostarts when booting?
View as plain text
At 10:43 +0800 9/11/02, Uriel Wittenberg wrote:
>Sorry for not specifying: I'm using WinXP HOME.
>
>I did the normal default install. It seems to start up the mySQL server
>automatically when I start up Windows. Hence my question:
>
>Is there a standard way to change that so the server only runs when
>explicitly invoked?

Start the Services Manager and see if it lists an entry for the "MySql"
service.  If so, tell the service to stop and close the window.
Then open a DOS window and issue this command:

C:\> mysqld --remove

That will remove the service.  Then it will run only when you invoke
it explicitly.

Alternatively, if the service is registered, you can change it to be
a "manual" service rather than an "automatic" service.  Then you use
the Services Manager to start it up as a service, but you have to do
so yourself. It won't start whenever Windows starts.

Confused, discombobulated, weirded out, upset! --Windows standalone userUriel Wittenberg10 Sep
  • Re: Confused, discombobulated, weirded out, upset! --Windowsstandalone userPaul DuBois10 Sep
  • Re: Confused, discombobulated, weirded out, upset! --Windows standalone userUriel Wittenberg10 Sep
    • Re: Confused, discombobulated, weirded out, upset! --Windowsstandalone userPaul DuBois10 Sep
  • Default Win install --> mySQL autostarts when booting?Uriel Wittenberg11 Sep
  • Re: Default Win install --> mySQL autostarts when booting?Gerald R. Jensen11 Sep
    • Re: Default Win install --> mySQL autostarts when booting?Paul DuBois11 Sep
  • Re: Default Win install --> mySQL autostarts when booting?Ed Carp11 Sep
  • new user's loginaman mysql11 Sep
  • Re: Default Win install --> mySQL autostarts when booting?Uriel Wittenberg11 Sep
    • Re: Default Win install --> mySQL autostarts when booting?Paul DuBois11 Sep
  • Starting/stopping server on WinXP Home standalone -- what's appropriate way?Uriel Wittenberg12 Sep
    • RE: Starting/stopping server on WinXP Home standalone -- what's appropriate way?Ed Carp12 Sep
      • Re: Starting/stopping server on WinXP Home standalone -- what's appropriate way?Uriel Wittenberg13 Sep
  • Re: Starting/stopping server on WinXP Home standalone -- what's appropriate way?Gerald R. Jensen12 Sep
Re: Confused, discombobulated, weirded out, upset! --Windows standalone userUriel Wittenberg10 Sep
RE: Default Win install --> mySQL autostarts when booting?Gerald R. Jensen11 Sep
Re: Default Win install --> mySQL autostarts when booting?Alec.Cawley11 Sep
RE: Starting/stopping server on WinXP Home standalone -- what's appropriate way?Gerald R. Jensen13 Sep
  • Re: Starting/stopping server on WinXP Home standalone -- what's appropriate way?Uriel Wittenberg14 Sep