List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:August 31 1999 11:57pm
Subject:Re: Solved: Mysqlaccess: Acess denied
View as plain text
At 15:57, 19990831, Stephen R. Figgins wrote:
>I tried mailing the author of the program at Yves.Carlier@stripped,
>but my message bounced.  If you are reading out there, Yves, you might
>want to tweak this program a bit so it will accept these characters in
>a password.

It's not possible to tweak the program - the Unix shell is what interprets
special characters - the expanded version of the command arguments is what
the program gets.

Any time you're typing *anything* at the command prompt, you have to watch
out for special characters.  You're probably familiar with this with spaces,
but other special characters are '"$()[]!^*? (the exact list depends on the
shell you're using).

Usually the best way to handle it is to use single quotes (') around the
word with special characters.  If that word itself contains single quotes,
you can escape them with a backslash:

    $ mysql -p 'p$s!w\'(d'

Tim
Thread
Mysqlaccess: Acess deniedStephen R. Figgins1 Sep
  • Re: Mysqlaccess: Acess deniedsasha1 Sep
    • Solved: Mysqlaccess: Acess deniedStephen R. Figgins1 Sep
      • Re: Solved: Mysqlaccess: Acess deniedThimble Smith1 Sep
        • Re: Solved: Mysqlaccess: Acess deniedStephen R. Figgins1 Sep
        • Re: Solved: Mysqlaccess: Acess deniedMartin Ramsch1 Sep