List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:March 12 1999 6:02pm
Subject:Re: Vectors
View as plain text
On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 11:49:32AM +0100, Ramon Loureiro wrote:
> How must I define a field in my database so that I could store a
> variable-lenght vector of floats?

You might need to make a separate table to hold the floats:

    CREATE vector_table (
        other_table_id INT NOT NULL,
        float_value    FLOAT(8) NOT NULL,

        KEY other_key (other_table_id),
        KEY float_key (float_value)
    );

Then you store your vector as a multiple rows in the vector_table
having the same value for other_table_id.

There's probably a better way to do this.

> Where can I find a FAQ with such a questions?

I have no idea.  This is kind of an SQL question, but there doesn't
seem to be a lot of good info on SQL on the internet (there's a lot
of mediocre info, though).  I think this mailing list is one of the
best sources of information you're going to find.

Tim
Thread
VectorsRamon Loureiro12 Mar
  • Re: VectorsThimble Smith12 Mar