List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:August 31 1999 7:02pm
Subject:Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?
View as plain text

>> decisions about which market(s) they want to play in, etc...  (My advice:
>> watch Linux closely and learn from their successes / mistakes; they are one
>> step ahead.  BTW: Why isn't MySQL on the standard Red Hat distribution? )
>>
>> Rick

Steve> I think the standard redhat dist comes only with PostgeSQL

Steve> I was curious about that too, if the TCX folks are interested in getting
Steve> more penetration out there (with possible support dollars too) that might
Steve> be a good place to get the sofware added.

Steve> Steve

Hi!

The MySQL license actually allows RedHat to put MySQL on their CD
without even asking us.  The problem is that RedHat wants one to be
able to do anything with the programs on the first CD and as our
license says that you are not allowed to restrict distribution of
MySQL without paying for it, they didn't want to put MySQL on it.

In other words;  RedHat wants anyone to be able to take a part of the
RedHat CD and make a commercial product of it and sell it without
allowing redistribution of the final copy.

We talked about an hour with Bob Young about this about 2 years
ago. He tried first to tell us that GPL is the way to go, but we quickly
discovered that GPL doesn't work for something that is a client/server.

For example:  If you have a library that is GPL, this means that any
code you link with it will be GPL.  Big companies are not prepared to
publish all their source code and because of this willing to pay
for a non GPL version of the library.

As the MySQL clients are in public domain, anyone can compile a
program that uses the MySQL server and use this without any
restrictions. In other words, when you are using a client-server
programs the client will not 'catch' the GPL license from the
server. This means also that GPL is not a good license for a server;
its actually the same thing as making it completely free!

If you look at it the current MySQL license is (in my opinion) very
comparable to any library that has a GPL license:  You are not
allowing to restrict distribution of a program that is linked with a
GPL library!  If you want to be able to restrict distribution, you
have to pay the vendor of the GPL library to be able to do so.  This
is exactly how the MySQL license works!

Most people doesn't seem to understand how GPL works with a
client/server product.  They who wants program to be as free as
possible, should actually encourage the MySQL license over the GPL
license (for client/server programs). This is because the MySQL
license is in 'a sense' as free as GPL, but also allows the company
that get something back from their work.  Compare this to companies
that makes GPL libraries, who does get something back for their work!

We also don't understand why RedHat doesn't put us on the complement
CD.  (We have asked them about this but never got an answer)

On the other hand, MySQL is at least on the SUSE, TurboLinux and probably on
the Mandrake distribution.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Ben-Nes Michael31 Aug
  • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Thimble Smith31 Aug
  • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Paul DuBois31 Aug
    • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Ben-Nes Michael31 Aug
    • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?info31 Aug
      • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?sinisa31 Aug
  • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Ben-Nes Michael31 Aug
    • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Michael Widenius31 Aug
      • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Doug Salot1 Sep
        • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Jules Bean1 Sep
          • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?James Rogers1 Sep
        • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Jules Bean1 Sep
        • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Michael Widenius1 Sep
  • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Cary Collett31 Aug
  • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Rick Moore31 Aug
    • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Steve Ruby31 Aug
      • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Jules Bean31 Aug
        • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Michael Widenius31 Aug
      • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?sasha31 Aug
      • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Jules Bean31 Aug
        • Job Available - Perl/MySQLArlen1 Sep
      • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Michael Widenius31 Aug
      • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Jules Bean1 Sep
      • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Rick Moore1 Sep
      • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Sasha Pachev6 Sep
    • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Orlando Andico31 Aug
      • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?ed31 Aug
        • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Cary Collett31 Aug
          • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?ed31 Aug
        • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Orlando Andico31 Aug
          • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Michael Widenius1 Sep
            • MySQL, GPL and RedHatMike Wexler1 Sep
              • Re: MySQL, GPL and RedHatThimble Smith1 Sep
              • MySQL, GPL and RedHatMichael Widenius1 Sep
    • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?James Manning31 Aug
      • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Michael Widenius1 Sep
      • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Ričardas Čepas1 Sep
  • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?Ben-Nes Michael31 Aug
  • Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?sasha31 Aug
Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?cmaurand1 Sep