List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 1 2002 9:09pm
Subject:RE: mysql is driving me mad (3)
View as plain text
At 20:56 +0100 9/1/02, Bob G wrote:
>my sql problem
>
>Thanks for the mild rebuke paul.

Not a rebuke, really.  It's just that people cannot help you without
information.

>I (re) created the table as follows ;-
>
>drop table clients;
>create table clients(
>	purchasers_ID int,
>	purchasers_name varchar (50),
>	purchase_ID int,
>	price decimal (7,2),
>	dated varchar(50)
>);

Looks okay.  Below you show a program for inserting records into the
table.  What happens if you use the mysql program from the command line
to insert records into the table that have values longer than 15 characters?
Does it work?  If so, then the the problem will be due to something about
your program.

>I put the data away thus :-
>
>Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
>strConn = "Data Source= ArtSales ; User ID= ;Password= ;"
>objConn.Open strConn
>
>  Set  objRS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
>       objRS.CursorLocation = adUseServer
>       objRS.CursorType = adOpenStatic
>       objRS.LockType = adLockOptimistic
>       objRS.Open "Orders", objConn, , , adCmdTable
>       obJRS.MoveLast
>       objRS.Update
>       Session("customerName")  = objRS("Customer_Name")
>	  Session("customerID") = objRS("OrderID")
>	  objRS.close
>	  objRS.Open "Clients", objConn, , , adCmdTable
>         objRS.AddNew
>         objRS("Purchasers_name") = Session("customerName") ****** this is
>the culprit *****
>	  objRS("purchasers_id") =  Session("customerID")
>         ObjRS("purchase_ID") =  Session("product_id")
>	  objRS("Price") =  Session("value")
>	  objRS("dated") =   now()
>         objRS.Update
>	  objRS.close
>%>
>		Anything less than 15 characters works o.k. anything
>more it produces an
>error.
>
>Error Type:
>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E21)
>Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status
>value, if available. No work was done.
>/Art_2/TMP287uj1ry6h.asp, line 40
>
>Given that I have given it 50 charachters to work with I don't understand
>what it can complain about. But then as I said I am very new. The other two
>databases work fine using the same methods!

You mean you have 50-char columns in those databases and you can insert
more than 15 characters into them?

>Thanks and regards Bob

Thread
RE: mysql is driving me mad (3)Bob G1 Sep
  • RE: mysql is driving me mad (3)Paul DuBois2 Sep
RE: mysql is driving me mad (3)Tom Emerson2 Sep