List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:August 29 2002 4:37am
Subject:RE: JDBC - Access denied (using password: yes) - RESOLVED
View as plain text
At 20:05 -0700 8/28/02, neal wrote:
>Alright ... I figured it out (sort of)...
>
>When I created a user account I put the value '%' in the host field of the
>mysql.user table.  I was following the example of the root account that was
>already specified in the table. Apparently if I make that if I change that
>'%' to 'localhost' its fine.

This indicates that when you specified no password, you were being
authenticated
as the anonymous user in the user table that has a Host value of localhost
and a User value of ''.  That's a more specific entry than % + bob.

Once you change your acount from % + bob to localhost + bob, it matches
your connection attempt and then you get connected as bob, not as
the anonymous user.

>I don't really understand why but it fixed it...

Read the section in the MySQL manual that describes how MySQL sorts
user table entries when it compares them to incoming connection attempts.

>Neal

Thread
rotating table???Naushit Sakarvadia29 Aug
  • Re: rotating table???Dicky Wahyu Purnomo29 Aug
    • JDBC - Access denied (using password: yes)neal29 Aug
      • RE: JDBC - Access denied (using password: yes) - RESOLVEDneal29 Aug
        • RE: JDBC - Access denied (using password: yes) - RESOLVEDPaul DuBois29 Aug
      • RE: JDBC - Access denied REVISED = simply won't accept passwords when logging inneal29 Aug
        • Re: JDBC - Access denied REVISED = simply won't accept passwords when logging inTerence29 Aug
        • Re: mysql scritTrevor Tregoweth29 Aug
  • Re: rotating table???Sergio Bruder29 Aug
  • Mysqld Thread questionNaushit Sakarvadia20 Sep
    • Re: Mysqld Thread questionPaul DuBois20 Sep
  • Re: Mysqld Thread questionNaushit Sakarvadia21 Sep
RE: JDBC - Access denied (using password: yes)neal29 Aug
  • Re: JDBC - Access denied (using password: yes)Mark Matthews29 Aug
    • users Permission Oddityneal29 Aug
      • Re: users Permission OddityPaul DuBois29 Aug
    • RE: JDBC - Access denied (using password: yes)neal29 Aug