List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:August 31 1999 3:45am
Subject:Re: Why is this so slow comparted to Access?
View as plain text
At 23:30, 19990830, Nathan Stratton wrote:
>I have this big database that is about 200 megs composed of about 10
>tables. It was running on MS Access, but I wanted to move it to mysql so i
>could work with php3. If I do a:
>
>select LERG_7.V_COORD, LERG_7.H_COORD from LERG_7 left join LERG_6 on LER
>G_7.SWITCH=LERG_6.SWITCH where LERG_6.NPA=207;
>
>It just sits there, I have waited up to 30 min and nothing. I know the
>syntax is right because if I create the tables with say only 10 records in
>each table it works fine. It also only takes about 10 sec to run under
>Access on my PII 333 with 128 megs on Win98.

Nathan, we'd need to see the output of these commands in order to tell
you anything.  The manual has a good section on how to effectively ask
questions.

    explain select LERG_7.V_COORD, LERG_7.H_COORD from LERG_7 left join
    LERG_6 on LER G_7.SWITCH=LERG_6.SWITCH where LERG_6.NPA=207;

    describe LERG_7;
    describe LERG_6;

    show keys from LERG_7;
    show keys from LERG_6;

    select count(*) from LERG_7;
    select count(*) from LERG_6;

>MYSQL is running on a Dual PII 450 with 768 megs of RAM running FreeBSD
>3.2. This is just my home play box, so nothing else is running on it so
>this should be quick.

Tim
Thread
Why is this so slow comparted to Access?Nathan Stratton31 Aug
  • Re: Why is this so slow comparted to Access?Thimble Smith31 Aug
    • Re: Why is this so slow comparted to Access?Nathan Stratton31 Aug
      • Re: Why is this so slow comparted to Access?(Paul D. Smith)31 Aug
      • Re: Why is this so slow comparted to Access?Paul DuBois31 Aug