List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:August 19 2002 3:23pm
Subject:Re: Displaying the real thread PIDs.
View as plain text
In the last episode (Aug 19), Reid Sutherland (mysql) said:
> Dan Nelson wrote:
> > You cannot send signals to individual threads.  Signals are
> > delivered to the process as a whole rather than to a thread.  The
> > only way to kill a thread is from within the application itself.
> > Mysql provides the "kill <id>" command for this.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> What could I do about hung mySQL threads?  'kill' fails to do
> anything, except marked the thread as killed but keeps it active.
>
> Also, when I kill the mySQL parent, I have to then SIGKILL all the
> hung threads thereafter.  Is this normal?

Nope.  Maybe you need to apply some OS patches.  I assume since you're
talking about threads as though they were processes, you're on Linux.
Make sure you're running the latest glibc, and if it still happens,
file a bugreport via your Linux distro's bug reporting tool.  When you
SIGKILL the main LinuxThreads process/thread, all associated
processes/threads should be killed also.

> I've even seen an issue where no mySQL processes exist yet I cannot
> restart mySQL since an unknown process is holding port 3306.  I then
> kill apache and some mySQL threads appear out of no where and require
> a SIGKILL.  This doesn't have anything to do with this subject, but
> I'd like to share my findings.

You can use the command "lsof -i :3306" to display all processes with a
socket open on port 3306.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped