List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Francisco Date:August 19 2002 1:47pm
Subject:Re: generating random integer id
View as plain text
Hi,

If you are generating the id yourself a good strategy
is to use UUID that are "guaranteed" to be
"universally" unique. If you are developing
for the Microsoft platform, there is an API functions
that returns you a UUID and this number is guaranteed
to be unique.

If you are working in Java, you can download the
source code of a UUID generator.

Bye,
--- Tom Gao <tom@stripped> wrote:
> hi guys,
>
>  I'm trying to generate randomly a number as the
> primary key the key is to
> be an integer in mysql. So like auto_increment I
can