List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Francisco Date:August 19 2002 1:47pm
Subject:Re: generating random integer id
View as plain text

If you are generating the id yourself a good strategy
is to use UUID that are "guaranteed" to be
"universally" unique. If you are developing
for the Microsoft platform, there is an API functions
that returns you a UUID and this number is guaranteed
to be unique.

If you are working in Java, you can download the
source code of a UUID generator.

--- Tom Gao <tom@stripped> wrote:
> hi guys,
>  I'm trying to generate randomly a number as the
> primary key the key is to
> be an integer in mysql. So like auto_increment I
> insert values and the
> pk can be generated automatically.
>  could someone point me to the right direction
> please
>  thanks
> Tom
> Before posting, please check:
>   (the manual)
>           (the list
> archive)
> To request this thread, e-mail
> <mysql-thread117433@stripped>
> To unsubscribe, e-mail
> Trouble unsubscribing? Try:

Do You Yahoo!?
HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
Re: generating random integer idTom Gao17 Aug
  • Re: generating random integer idFrancisco19 Aug
Re: generating random integer idDavid Lloyd17 Aug
Re: generating random integer idTom Gao17 Aug