List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reid Sutherland (mysql) Date:August 19 2002 1:06pm
Subject:Re: Displaying the real thread PIDs.
View as plain text
Dan Nelson wrote:

> You cannot send signals to individual threads.  Signals are delivered
> to the process as a whole rather than to a thread.  The only way to
> kill a thread is from within the application itself.  Mysql provides
> the "kill <id>" command for this.

Thanks for your reply.

What could I do about hung mySQL threads?  'kill' fails to do anything,
except marked the thread as killed but keeps it active.

Also, when I kill the mySQL parent, I have to then SIGKILL all the hung
threads thereafter.  Is this normal?

I've even seen an issue where no mySQL processes exist yet I cannot
restart mySQL since an unknown process is holding port 3306.  I then
kill apache and some mySQL threads appear out of no where and require a
SIGKILL.  This doesn't have anything to do with this subject, but I'd
like to share my findings.

Note: These threads are NOT hung due to locking issues or the like.

-reid

Thread
Displaying the real thread PIDs.Reid Sutherland18 Aug
  • Re: Displaying the real thread PIDs.Michael Bacarella18 Aug
  • Re: Displaying the real thread PIDs.Dan Nelson18 Aug
  • Re: Displaying the real thread PIDs.mysql)19 Aug
    • Re: Displaying the real thread PIDs.Dan Nelson19 Aug