List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Orr Date:August 16 2002 6:19pm
Subject:RE: Persisten Connections
View as plain text
> I profiled my PHP app with a debugger
A single session and a few queries does not make a very good test. The
reason for persistent connections is to scale web apps to handle intense
multi-user activity like 1000 queries per second or 100's or even 1000's of
concurrent database connections. Do a for..loop that launches 1000 *nix
background processes each of which has a suite of queries with slightly
different values in the where clause. You need to look at overall
performance of the database server and its ability to handle the load of
many concurrent users using different connection and/or programming
techniques. The best implementation I've seen is where the connection
pooling function was written in C in a 3 tier architecture having a web
server, a db server, and an application server where the connection pooling
was done... VERY scalable, just like the fish I like to catch.