List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Richard Reina Date:March 30 1999 2:26am
Subject:Is there a MySQL for Dummies Book?
View as plain text
I was having some problems starting MySQL, so decided to reinstall it.
First, I went and deleted all the old files -- including the ones in
/var/lib/mysql...

When I tried to reinstall -- using rpm -i -- I got a message saying it
was already installed.  However, when I tried to fire it up it gave me
an error message asking me to check for a .socks file in var/lib/mysql,
which I of course deleted.  Now, I'm lost as to how to reinstall.

Any suggestions on how I might reinstall MySQL would be greatly
appreciated.  Sorry, to waist everyone's time on such a simple question.

Special thanks to Ed Carp and David Bruha who tried to provide help by
explaining that I had the wrong path.  You guys were right.
Unfortunately, I didn't figure it out until it was too late and I had
embarked on a silly mission of deleting what appear to have been
perfectly good files.

Sincerely,

Richard R.
Thread
Is there a MySQL for Dummies Book?Richard Reina30 Mar
  • Re: Is there a MySQL for Dummies Book?Richard Reina31 Mar
    • Re: Is there a MySQL for Dummies Book?Colin McKinnon1 Apr
  • Re: Is there a MySQL for Dummies Book?Richard Reina2 Apr