List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:August 11 2002 5:58pm
Subject:Re: Need reversible encryption as string
View as plain text
At 19:51 +0200 8/11/02, Benjamin Pflugmann wrote:
>Hi.
>
>On Sun 2002-08-11 at 12:07:47 -0500, paul@stripped wrote:
>>  At 9:25 -0700 8/11/02, Michael Collins wrote:
>[...]
>>  >SELECT * FROM MYDB
>>  >WHERE EmailAddress=$EmailEntered AND
>>  >DECODE(LoginPassword,'MySalt')=$PasswordEntered
>>
>>  If you write the query like that, yes, it will use a complete scan.
>
>I beg to differ. If there is an index on EmailAddress it will be used
>and only all entries with the same email address (which should be one
>or only one) will be scanned.

You're right.  I was speaking only with respect to evaluation of the
condition on LoginPassword.

>>  But you could also use
>>
>>  ... AND LoginPassword = ENCODE($PasswordEntered,'MySalt')
>
>But that's a good idea anyhow.

You're right there, too. :-)

>Bye,
>
>	Benjamin.
>
>--
>benjamin-mysql@stripped

Thread
Need reversible encryption as stringMichael Collins11 Aug
  • Re: Need reversible encryption as stringMike Hall11 Aug
    • Re: Need reversible encryption as stringMichael Collins11 Aug
    • Re: [OT] assigning new passwords (was: Need reversible encryption as string)Benjamin Pflugmann11 Aug
  • Re: Need reversible encryption as stringPaul DuBois11 Aug
    • Re: Need reversible encryption as stringBenjamin Pflugmann11 Aug
      • Re: Need reversible encryption as stringPaul DuBois11 Aug
  • Re: [OT] assigning new passwords (was: Need reversible encryption as string)Mike Hall11 Aug
    • Re: [OT] assigning new passwords (was: Need reversible encryptionas string)Joe Shear12 Aug
Re: Need reversible encryption as stringMichael Collins11 Aug