List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:August 29 1999 5:28pm
Subject:Re: moving database
View as plain text
>>>>> "cshepard" == cshepard  <cshepard@stripped> writes:

cshepard> On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Thimble Smith wrote:
>> At 07:04, 19990827, cshepard wrote:
>> >My problem/question is that the auto_inc keys may be missing
>> >some numbers due to deletions along the way, so I assume I
>> >cannot use SELECT INTO and LOAD DATA or I'll end up with
>> >new perfectly sequential auto_inc numbers.  Or is there
>> >some way to override the auto increment feature during
>> >LOAD DATA?  Didn't see anything in the manual about it.
>>
>> In the manual section on "Things that must be done in the real
>> near future" you'll find this:
>>
>> * Add an `IMAGE' option to `LOAD DATA INFILE' to not update
>> `TIMESTAMP' and `AUTO_INCREMENT' fields.
>>
>> So maybe you could check with developer@stripped and see how
>> hard that is, and you could code it up for them.  It doesn't
>> sound too difficult....

cshepard> 	Gee, you mean I can't get a refund?  That's the
cshepard> 	problem with OpenSouce projects: If you don't like
cshepard> 	it, you can't complain...you're just supposed to go
cshepard> 	fix it yerself.  ;)

<cut>

Hi!

Just a note about LOAD DATA INFILE:

- MySQL will not change 'AUTO_INCREMENT' columns that already have a
  value. It will only change AUTO_INCREMENT columns that are 0 or NULL.
  If you update a TIMESTAMP column, then only entries that are NULL
  are set to the current date.

The above note in the TODO is to add options to not change
AUTO_INCREMENT or TIMESTAMP columns, even if you have set them to 0 or
NULL.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
moving databasecshepard27 Aug
  • Re: moving databaseThimble Smith27 Aug
    • Re: moving databasecshepard27 Aug
      • Re: moving databaseThimble Smith27 Aug
      • Re: moving databaseMichael Widenius29 Aug