List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:August 8 2002 10:26pm
Subject:Re: fulltext phrase search
View as plain text
In the last episode (Aug 08), Christopher Book said:
> Using mysql 4.0.2 I get the following behaviour (phrase searching):
>
> match (field) against ('"pack of"' in boolean mode)
>
> gives me all results with 'pack of', not just 'pack'.  So MySQL isn't
> ignoring 'of' even though the word is too short to normally be
> considered.
>
> However if I use: match(field) against ('"of the'" in boolean mode)
>
> then the whole query is ignored.
>
> It this working as designed?  Should the short words be "sometimes"
> ignored?

If mysql internally does phrase searches by searching for "+word1 +word2",
then scanning the results for records where the words are also
adjacent, that would be consistent with the results you're seeing.  As
long as one of the words in the phrase is indexed, you'll get results.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped