List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:August 29 1999 4:49pm
Subject:Re: No tranactions?
View as plain text
>>>>> "Patrick" == Patrick Greenwell <patrick@stripped>
> writes:

Patrick> On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, John Wolter wrote:
>> transactions, they may be slower but so what.  Is it then necessary in MySQL to
>> write all of your own transaction code?

Patrick> Yes.

It depends on the application;  For many applications you can manage
fairly well with LOCK TABLES and using incremental updates as long as
you don't have any needs to call ROLLBACK in your application.  The
MySQL manual covers some things about this!

On the other hand, we are currently looking at integrating an
transaction database into MySQL, so we should change the above
TODO entry...

(When we implement this, we will have transactions support per table,
so you don't have to sacrifice any speed if you don't need them!)

>> Has someone written the necessary support for transactions?

Patrick> No.

>> I view transactions as necessary for applications
>> like realtime accounting and other multiuser distributed applications.  Someone
>> enlighten me.

Patrick> Then MySQL probably isn't for you. Try Postgres.

Yes;  PostgreSQL has transaction support, but lacks some other
things that MySQL supports (Check
http://www.mysql.com/crash-me-choose.htmy for details about this).

If you really need transactions and PostgreSQL supports all other
construct you need, then this may be a good option for you (at least
for the moment)

Regards,
Monty
Thread
No tranactions?John Wolter27 Aug
  • Re: No tranactions?Patrick Greenwell27 Aug
    • Re: No tranactions?Michael Widenius29 Aug
  • Re: No tranactions?Sasha Pachev27 Aug
  • Re: No tranactions?John Wolter28 Aug