List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Anthony Rumble Date:March 30 1999 12:20am
Subject:Re: Experiences with mysql on Alpha Linux
View as plain text

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 22:34:53 +0300 (EEST)
From: Michael Widenius <monty@stripped>
To: John Banks <john@stripped>

John> Michael Widenius wrote:

> [...]
John> Hi,
John> Does anyone on this list have an experiences (good or bad) with using
John> mysql in a production environment on the Linux Alpha platform?
John> We're currently moving servers over from FreeBSD/Intel and are having
John> a few problems with mysql hanging intermittently. I'm currently going
John> through upgrading kernel, egcs, glibc, linuxthreads & everthing else I
John> can think of to try and sort this...

John> Thanks,
John> John

John> --
John> ========     John Banks    -    john@stripped     ========

>> Hi!
>>
>> The two problems on Linux-Alpha have been Linuxthreads and the
>> gcc 2.8.1 !
>>
>> If you have a new glibc and use the following configure line, then it
>> should work:
>>
>> CFLAGS="-O6 -mpentium -fomit-frame-pointer" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O6
>> -mpentium -fomit-frame-pointer -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions
>> -fno-rtti" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
>> -with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static --disable-shared
>>
>> If not, please read the manual section 'Debugging mysql' to find out what
>> could be wrong.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Monty

John> Hi Monty,
John>    I tried this and I thought I had things fixed - I could run through
John> the benchmark tests OK, which were crashing before. However, the mysqld
John> daemon is still hanging after 12 hours or so of use. I tried turning on
John> --debug and it crashes immediately with the following message in the
John> error log!

John> mysqld started on  Mon Mar 29 13:34:48 BST 1999
John> Memory allocated at derror.cc:0 was underrun, discovered at derror.cc:72
John> Memory allocated at derror.cc:0 was overrun, discovered at
John> 'derror.cc:72'
John> mysqld ended on  Mon Mar 29 13:34:48 BST 1999

John> here's the trace log....

John> no_name: info: /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld  Ver 3.22.19b-debug-log
John> for unknown-linux-gnu on alphaev56

John> no_name: >unireg_init
John> no_name: | >calc_daynr
John> no_name: | | exit: year: 1999  month: 3  day: 29 -> daynr: 730207
John> no_name: | <calc_daynr
John> no_name: <unireg_init
John> no_name: >init_errmessage
John> no_name: | >read_texts

John> This is on a Redhat 5.2 Alpha system with 2.2.3 kernel + egcs-1.0.3 +
John> glibc-2.0.7-29 with your LinuxThreads patch. Any ideas on what's going
John> on here?

> Sorry, no ideas (except that one probably must debug this with gdb)...
> Any change I can get a login on the alpha machine to test this ?

I could make my machine available, or an alpha I have access to at
Corporate Express, we are very keen to get MySQL stable on this platform,
and have been banging on it for quite a while now.

---
Anthony Rumble
EMUSYS Unix Consulting               Phone: 0500 500 EMU
Direct 02-9798-7604 Mobile 0412-955-042 Fax 02 9798 2854

Thread
Experiences with mysql on Alpha LinuxJohn Banks19 Mar
  • Experiences with mysql on Alpha LinuxMichael Widenius19 Mar
  • Re: Experiences with mysql on Alpha LinuxJohn Banks19 Mar
  • Re: Experiences with mysql on Alpha LinuxJohn Banks29 Mar
    • Re: Experiences with mysql on Alpha LinuxMichael Widenius29 Mar
  • Re: MySQL++ API HelpSinisa Milivojevic4 Jun
Re: Experiences with mysql on Alpha LinuxAnthony Rumble30 Mar