List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:August 29 1999 10:23am
Subject:HELP: can't access database!!!
View as plain text
>>>>> "Hiu-Man" == Hiu-Man Cheung <cheung@stripped> writes:

Hiu-Man> Hi,

Hiu-Man> I've to access a mysql database on a SUN solaris box but I don't have the
Hiu-Man> password. Old employee took it with him. Is there a way I can go in and
Hiu-Man> reset the password?

Hiu-Man> Also I'm getting the following error:

Hiu-Man> bash-2.03# /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqlshow
Hiu-Man> /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqlshow: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost'
Hiu-Man> (Using password: NO)

Hiu-Man> I'm accessing this database on the server.
Hiu-Man> This machine used to have a name but now doesn't. Does it matter?

Hi!

I just updated the MySQL manual with the following:

'How to reset a forgotten password.'

If you have forgot the root password for MySQL, you can restore this
with the following procedure.

- Take down the mysqld server by sending a 'kill' (not 'kill -9')
  to the 'mysqld' server.  The pid is stored in a '.pid'
  file which is normally in the 'MySQL' database directory:

kill `cat /mysql-data-directory/hostname.pid`

- Restart 'mysqld' with --skip-grant-tables.

- Connect to the mysqld server with 'mysql -h hostname mysql' and change
  the password with a 'GRANT' command.
  You can also do this with
  mysqladmin -h hostname -u user password 'new password'

- Load the privilege tables with: 'mysqladmin -h hostname flush-tables' or
  with the SQL command 'FLUSH PRIVILEGES'.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
HELP: can't access database!!!Hiu-Man Cheung25 Aug
  • HELP: can't access database!!!Michael Widenius29 Aug